Friday, July 20, 2012

Dear Body


This letter is written in response to the invitation by She Loves Magazine, Stories of Sisterhood to write a letter to my body. To read more letters, written by women around the world, click here:  www.shelovesmagazine.com  or visit shelovesmagazine on Facebook.


Dear Body,

We’ve spent forty-nine good years together.  We’ve traveled the world and had the joy of laughing with friends across the globe.   We’ve always had a good relationship.  I have always been grateful that you seemed to maintain your health and your form without any effort on my part.  I have depended you and found you to be faithful.

That is until May 27, 2009.  Imagine my shock when I was told that you had stage 3 rectal cancer.  The doctors told me that I had a 50/50 chance of maintaining my relationship with you for five more years.  I had always known that my days with you were numbered, but it was stunning to hear that number may be much smaller than I had imagined. 

I immediately felt betrayed!  How could you let this happen? You had no history of this disease!  You are never sick!  And so began my personal battle to prolong your life.  We partnered together, garnered all our strength, and stepped into the war. 

And you were phenomenal!  You took everything that came your way with amazing strength and dignity.  You stood up to repeated radiation, the burning of your cells,; and diligently discarded the refuse. You miraculously rebuilt damaged tissues even as you cried out for rest and relief from the onslaught.  You even gave birth to brand new cells in spite of the biological warfare of chemotherapy.  You endured multiple surgeries, each time producing beautiful scar tissue to remind me of your victories.  You fought through diarrhea, dehydration, exhaustion, electrolyte imbalance, secondary infections, constant nausea, emotional upheaval, pain, grief, fear, and despair.  You endured countless medical procedures, and torturous medical exams. You persevered through it all.

After endless months in the fray, you rang the bell, signaling your personal victory. You are amazing! You are strong! You are “beautifully and wonderfully made.”  I have never been more proud to call you mine!  Thank you for fighting for me!  I can’t live without you!

Love,
Laura

4 comments:

  1. Laura, this letter is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! Can’t wait to hear you and Mark this Sunday!!
    PS, I just had my 2 yr. testing at MDA. (Lymphoma) They found a lymph node in my rt. armpit that has grown :( When they heard that I recently had surgery on my rt. breast, (not cancer related) and that after my surgery it got infected, the Dr looked relieved and said that is probably why it was swollen. Because of this I still have to be rechecked in 4 months. If all had been clear, I would have started going only twice a yr. I will cont. to keep my body strong along with my faith!!
    Thank you for sharing. I always feel like I'm not alone and that its ok to feel the way I do, when I see you are feeling the same things. It helps :)
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm speech less. From this moment i love mine..THANK U

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a beautiful human being...going to give your body a huge hug of gratitude <3!!!!

    ReplyDelete